S.C. Stormwater Pond Research and Management Collaborative
Assessing the Current Landscape
The S.C. Sea Grant Consortium convened the S.C. Stormwater Pond Research and Management Collaborative to further investigate and address the challenges associated with stormwater ponds in our coastal areas.
In late 2014, the Consortium initiated support for a series of seven studies (listed below) with the following goals:
- Inventory update and classification of stormwater ponds in coastal South Carolina
- Write a State-of-Knowledge Report to characterize the current knowledge and status of coastal stormwater ponds in South Carolina
- Create public awareness and outreach messaging to identify and implement a common communications message and strategy
Stormwater Pond Studies Initiated by the S.C. Sea Grant Consortium
1. A Stormwater Pond Inventory for the Eight Coastal Counties of South Carolina: Erik Smith, USC; Denise Sanger, SC DNR.
2. Development of a Strategic Outreach Plan to Improve Long-term Stormwater Pond Awareness and Maintenance: Katie Buckley, Clemson; Amy Scaroni, Clemson Ext.; Melinda Weathers, Clemson.
3. Non-point Source Contamination in Stormwater Systems in South Carolina: Mohammed Baalousha, USC; Geoffrey Scott, USC.
4. South Carolina Pond Management Approaches and Costs – An Economic State-of-Knowledge Review and Synthesis: Christopher Mothorpe, CofC; Wesley Burnett, CofC.
5. Characterizing the State-of-the-Knowledge of South Carolina Stormwater Detention Ponds: Ecosystem Function within the Coastal Landscape: Dianne Greenfield, USC; Erik Smith, USC; Andrew Tweel, SC DNR; Denise Sanger, SC DNR.
6. An Assessment of Stormwater Policy, Regulation and Management for the Coastal Counties of South Carolina: Jeffery Allen, Clemson; Lori Dickes; Clemson; Katie Buckley, Clemson.
7. Sources, Fate and Transport of Contaminants in Engineered Stormwater Structures: Vijay Vulava, CofC; Barbara Beckingham, CofC; Timothy Callahan, CofC.
Stormwater Pond Advisory Council
To guide the activities of the Collaborative, the Consortium has created the Stormwater Pond Advisory Council, whose membership represents stormwater managers and consultants, stormwater pond practitioners, realtors, government officials, scientists, and outreach specialists.
The Council is overseeing the activities of the Collaborative to ensure that the directions, activities, and products of the Collaborative are targeted towards improving our knowledge and management of stormwater ponds in the coastal regions.
|Jeff Adkins||NOAA NOS – Office for Coastal Management||Resource Economics|
|Heather Foley||Urban Land Institute – SC||Landscape Architecture|
|David Fuss||Horry County||Local Government – Stormwater Management|
|Shannon Hicks||SC Dept. of Health and Environmental Control||State Government – Resource Management|
|Erik Larson||Beaufort County||Local Government – Engineering|
|Chris Marsh||The LowCountry Institute||Environmental Science and Education|
|Ed Oswald||Private/Charleston Trident Association of Realtors||Real Estate|
|Calvin Sawyer||Clemson University||Water Quality|
|Norm Shea||Private||Pond Management|
|Allen Smith||Private/SC Aquatic Plant Management Society||Pond Management|
|April Turner||S.C. Sea Grant Consortium||Coastal Communities Extension|
|David Whitaker||SC DNR – Marine Resources Division||State Government – Resource Management|
Stormwater Ponds in South Carolina State of Knowledge Report (2018)
This comprehensive report contains up-to-date scientific findings on stormwater ponds, their effectiveness as a control measure, pollutant levels, public perception, and best management practices. Full report available soon.