Executive Assistant / Office Manager
(Administrative Coordinator II)
About the Position
The S. C. Sea Grant Consortium is seeking an Executive Assistant/Office Manager for its office in Charleston, South Carolina. The primary function of this position, which reports directly to the Agency Head, is to provide administrative support to the Agency Head and to manage aspects of the day-to-day functions of the Consortium office.
The Consortium is a university-based state agency established in 1980 to generate and apply science-based information on issues and opportunities to enhance the practical use and conservation of coastal and marine resources to foster a sustainable economy and environment. The Consortium is a vibrant organization with about twenty staff working on extending science to coastal communities and businesses, education programs for teachers and communities, and communications products for all South Carolinians. Staff engage with researchers across the state to learn about the wise use and care for our natural resources.
The Consortium is committed to continuing efforts to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion among its staff and partners. We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
The Consortium’s Executive Assistant/Office Manager will provide direct administrative and coordination support to the Agency Head, including coordinating calls, meetings, and small conferences among the agency’s Board of Directors, advisory groups, and Consortium partners, and will coordinate the general operating functions of the Consortium office, including the performance of activities related to procurement and purchasing, management of the supply, auxiliary, and maintenance services for the office, and other administrative requirements as needed.
The Consortium’s Executive Assistant/Office Manager
- As Executive Assistant to the Agency Head:
- Arranges and schedules appointments and maintains Agency Head calendar
- Schedules meetings of the Consortium Board of Directors and with representatives of the South Carolina General Assembly and the U.S. Congressional Delegation
- Arranges programmatic meetings and conferences
- Makes travel arrangements
- Addresses additional administrative and programmatic needs of Agency Head as necessary
- As Office Manager:
- Manages and coordinates agency in-office day-to-day needs
- Provides general operational support to staff
- Serves as agency’s chief procurement officer
- Prepares and maintains requisite state administrative reports and plans
- Serves as office’s initial point-of-contact and telephone coordinator
- Manages state leased-vehicle use and maintenance
- Manages office supplies and materials
- Maintains office common areas
- In General:
- Provides administrative leadership at local and state levels
- Represents the agency at designated professional meetings in South Carolina
- Conducts complex special assignments
- Provides consultation on established administrative policies and procedures as required
- Associate degree and more than five years of relevant experience in an executive office environment
- Skilled in public administration and business management
- Knowledge of South Carolina and federal administrative rules and regulations
- Must be able to effectively communicate with institutional administrators, members and representatives of state and federal legislative personnel, and other formal contacts as required
- Skilled in computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Google Calendars, and virtual meeting programs such as Zoom. Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills are necessary
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience with word processing, spreadsheet, database, web, and social media
- Bachelor’s degree and more than five years of relevant experience in an executive office environment
- Awareness/knowledge of South Carolina State Government and the NOAA National Sea Grant College Program
Regular, full-time state position. Position is contingent on successful performance of duties and continued state and federal funding. Agency hiring range: $40,759 to $49,423. The finalist for this position must successfully complete an e-verify and driver’s license background check.
Work Location and Hours
This position is based in Charleston, South Carolina. Normal Consortium business hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm; however, there may be times when work beyond regular business hours may be necessary in order to complete the requirements of the position. Travel throughout the state is likely; a valid driver’s license is required.
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and names and addresses of three professional references to:
Human Resources Manager
South Carolina Sea Grant Consortium
287 Meeting Street
Charleston, S.C. 29401
This position is available immediately. Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
The S.C. Sea Grant Consortium is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. The S.C. Sea Grant Consortium participates in E-Verify.