Beaufort County Adapts
Beaufort County Adapts brings together scientists, residents, and decision-makers to prepare for impacts of sea-level rise on local groundwater and infrastructure.
Why is This Important?
Groundwater levels and salt content (aka salinity), impacts agriculture, natural forests, and buried infrastructure such as septic systems.
Here’s What We’re Doing
Collect the Science
- Study groundwater change in four Beaufort communities
- Build a model of how sea level rise affects local groundwater
- Create maps of essential infrastructure
- Identify which infrastructure and social services are vulnerable to sea-level change
- Create a framework for proactive decision-making based on data
Our Community Focus
We are working with the following communities to learn about how flooding impacts daily life and co-create ideas to build resilience:
- St. Helena Island
- City Of Beaufort – Mossy Oaks
- Town of Port Royal – Shell Point
- Town of Bluffton – Alljoy